Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cooking Class




I met with my Tuesday class for the first time today. There were about 15 students, and all introduced themselves to me in English. I will write later about the students.
After I had my class I joined Emily and Lauren in cooking class. We prepared Miso soup, Ramen noodles, baked salmon, some type of boiled Japanese greens, which had some type of sweetener on them, and, naturally, white rice. We walked to the grocery store and picked out some of the ingredients and then cooked our lunch. The grocery store will be another post...... sufficit to say that prices were VERY EXPENSIVE! One small catalope was over $5. A gift-boxed melon was over $35. I bought a very small container of ice cream for $4. Needless to say I will be eating like I did in Iceland when I have to pay for it myself. It is equally as expensive.
We also had potato salad that someone else made for us, and oranges, grapes and watermelon for dessert. I was suffed!
we learned the proper order for eating, (sip soup first, then a bite of rice, then a bite of salmon, then the greens, and you only eat the salad when you are done with everything else. The Ramen noodles came first, as an appetizer, and it had mushrooms, ham and kelp in it.
More about the food later..... the jet lag is kicking in and I have to go to sleep!

2 comments:

  1. How does the Hello Kitty garnish affect the price of the soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It increases it by about $1. It is made out of fish-paste, and you can buy all sorts of fish paste garnish...... I want a Tweety-bird garnish.

    ReplyDelete