Thursday, June 24, 2010

Getting acclimatized

I am still not over the jet lag. I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep for an hour or so. The middle of the afternoon finds me trying to keep my eyes open....... hard to do.
So far I have met with two classes, a child psych class and a business information class. There are more women than men and all of the students are shy. I was late to class this morning because I got lost (!) and arrived drenched in sweat and dying of thirst. But all went well after that. Basically so far the students introduce themselves in English and ask me questions. I introduced myself and asked them questions. I guess next week we will get to lessons and presentations and such.
So far I have had "American" breakfasts (eggs, ham, croissant, coffee, juice and salad (!)) I will try a Japanese breakfast next week. I did eat steak last night and a seaweed salad, which was excellent. Lunch today was soba noodles at a small noodle house. Some of the other Fukushima College professors commented that I used the chopsticks like a native. Go figure. I was also great at slurping my noodles. That is considered polite.
My pillows are like bean bags but comfortable. My room has great A/C and hot water and a giant tub. Plus, the internet access makes me very happy.
The restaurant last night was traditional in that we ate in a private room. When you wanted to order you pressed a button on the table that sounded like a door bell and then the waitstaff showed up. That was fun.
The weather today was really pleasant, at least walking back from the downtown campus to our hotel. Not like this morning, though. The downtown campus is only one building. The suburban campus has many buildings and is an 8 minute train ride from the hotel. The train station is across the street.
Today I learned about the culture, and about manga. If you do not know what that is, I suggest googleing it. Manga has to do with comic books. We also learned about fashion in Japan.
The city is ringed by mountains. I will try to get some pics posted.

2 comments:

  1. I like the soba noodles, but they are high in calories. Did they have anything on them? Just wondering about the various ways they serve noodles.

    Did you ask if the steak you ate had been fed beer and massaged? :)

    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for that information on the calories! I did not eat them all, I got filled up fast. They were naked and cold, I dipped them in soy sauce. I did not ask about the steak, but it was the best steak I had ever eaten! I hope it was massaged and fed beer!

    ReplyDelete