Friday, June 25, 2010

Karoke

We ate a fabulous restaruant last night, the four of us (Emily, Lauren, Masumi and me) plus with Professors Miura, Sato and Mizunoya. I teach with Mr. Mizunoya. It was a traditional restaurant where we took our shoes off and sat with our legs in a hole. We had radish salad and Caesar salad, some fried cheese sticks, various raw fish pieces (tuna, salmon, shrimp, mystery fish) and a Koren rice dish which we cooked at the table. I have to say, I am getting a little sick of rice..... *sigh*, and I did opt for a Japanese style breakfast this morning instead of the "American" one, so that means more rice. I had better get used to it. I did that because I am getting sick of eggs each morning, too.
After dinner we went to a Karoke place, which consists of a large space with many small rooms along the perimeter which has a horse-shoe table and a large karoke machine. We sang for about an hour or so, Lauren and Emily sang some Japanese songs, I helped sing "Summertime" and "Singing in the Rain", Masumi and Mr. Sato sang a beautiful duet, a romantic Japanese song. We ended with a rousing version of "My Way" which is very popular I gather. I was going to try "Orange Crush" by REM but we couldn't get it to work. Lauren did a rap song, which had only one bad word in it..... amazing. Mr. Sato told me that some people spend the night in the place and that many Japanese have their own machines at home. He was telling me how good it was for our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment