Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blues Bar


Went out last night to a blues bar near the hotel with two local English teachers, Brent from St. Louis and Damien from Sidney, Australia. The bar was small and dark, with the appropriate kitchy stuff all around it. There was a drum set and some bongo drums, an old stand up bass and I think a guitar. No one was playing, unfortunately, but there must have been at least 300 albums behind the bar near the DJ station. The DJ didn't play the old Chicago blues I like, but did put on some good mixes of more contemporary jazzy/blues stuff. I felt at home with the posters of James Brown, Clarence "Gatesmouth" Brown and others. I liked the black and white Barbie Dolls placed around, and all of the old Aunt Jamima memorabilia on the bar. There was a mirror ball and bench seats. It reminded me of the old coffee place in Sparkle City's new "grain district", Java Jive. Unfortunately, I came out of there smelling like I had been in Delany's! Yuck. I guess all bars are the same in that regard.
As we were leaving we spotted these pants on the rail. I really wonder what the story is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment