Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fukushima Miyashiro Campus







I have four classes on the Mirashiro Campus which is 8 minutes away by train. I have two classes at the downtown campus, which is just one building, called the Ekimae Campus. Fukushima College will be celebrating it's 70th birthday next year. It was originally founded by the current CEO's parents to teach young women how to make Kimonos.
The Mirashiro campus has many statues. I will picture a few here, but still have to take more pictures. They are all of women, most of them are clothed, and some have animals with them. There are many statues of women in the city of Fukushima as well. I will put those in a different post. The busts pictured are of the college founders, Mr. and Mrs. Kanno.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love some of these statues: The first woman (nude) and the one of someone wearing Daisy Dukes and a tied-up shirt?! Crazy! But I loved it all the more for its seeming out-of-placeness in that culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that is one of my favorites as well. Not quite sure what they are trying to get across. I definately have to get more pics of the other statues. They are all quite different.

    ReplyDelete