Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More on food

Today's Japanese breakfast was much more appetizing than Monday's! There was cooked salmon, Japanese style eggs (square and sort of scrambled with a sweet sauce), white rice and miso (of course, goes with out writing), another soup with a gray potato, something like a rutabaga, and a sea creature with tentacles and small suction cups which I didn't get near, sweet pickles and sea-urchin, and nutto! Nutto is a dish of fermented beans and leeks which is slimy and has strings of silk coming off of it. It is actually ok when mixed with rice and soy sauce. I think I am the only Westerner other than Brent (English teacher who teaches part time at Fukushima College) who will eat it. The students all laugh when I mention it.

Today's lunch was a gamble. I put my money in the machine and picked a number indicating to the lunch ladies in the cafeteria what I wanted. I had NO IDEA what I was getting, as the main dish was sold out and I only knew what button to push for the main dish and for the curry. I didn't want the curry, so picked number 11. It turned out to be a macaroni salad (which was excellent), some miso soup which I like, and a fried rice, egg and ginger tofu dish which was tasty.

Dinner was chicken-on-a-stick (yakitory) and a sea-weed Tofu salad with sesame dressiong. I love this salad! I am going to miss this salad..... guess I will have to find seaweed in Sparkle City.

No comments:

Post a Comment