Thursday, July 8, 2010

nasty food



I will post more pictures of the food, but this is by far the weirdest thing I have tried. Evidently it is made of potato and is called "konyaku" and it has the texture of lip. Seriously, it is like eating some type of gelatinous mass...... not only is the color not appetizing, but the orange sauce was so sweet that my teeth hurt. Evidently the Japanese love this stuff..... but Emily, Lauren and I couldn't stomach it.
I rather like "Nutto" which is fermented beans. They are mixed with leeks and have stings that come off of them like silk threads. I know this sounds disgusting but it isn't bad mixed with the never-ending white rice and soy sauce. I am trying to keep my protein levels up. The miso soup has the nutto bean in it also, but I am not a fan of that. In fact, miso soup is getting rather old at this point as well.......... but unfortunately the Western breakfast offered is only eggs of one variety or another, and that is getting tiresome, too. However, the 7-11 has great yogurt and there are plenty of places to get great baked goods as well, so I am hardly starving for breakfast.
More on food later, with more pictures....... I am off to bed.

3 comments:

  1. "Lip"--how appetizing! My favorite! It was not at all evident to me that it was potato, btw. I thought it was fish, which is much closer to lip in texture. I definitely laughed outloud when I read you're description--of that dish as well as the less than enthused opinion of certain alimentary repetitions. Quite hilarious. And I'm sorry for your tiring cuisine experiences. Not a tragedy, but a bummer. So, no sushi for a while then after you return? Probably, nothing like a good old-fashioned burger and fries for you when you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this stuff - it was so weird and definitely not one of my favorites. I don't think anyone can truly appreciate the texture until they've eaten it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eck! However, what is worse is white type against a black background. Hard to read, and very quickly annoying enough to make jumping off an otherwise interesting page onto another.

    No matter how "creative" you can go with font in HTML--NEVER go with a black background. Especially if you cannot hold true black when using frames.

    ReplyDelete