Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thursday, 15 July

Thursday night we had a farewell dinner at a Chinese restaurant near the downtown Fukushima campus, and the chef came out to greet us at the end. Emily, Lauren, Ms. Sato, Mr. Mura, Mr. Kanno, Mark, a trustee I had not met before named Mr. Hirata and I had a wonderful dinner with many, many courses, topped off by a strawberry birthday cake for me! It was delicious. I know we had duck, tempura asparagus, tofu, a sweet doughy thing with bean paste in the middle of it, shaped like a peach, lots of different kinds of veggies, a hot curry, a milder curry, lots of white rice, soup, and fruit. I know there were at least 10 courses, but Thursday seems like a month ago given our travels this past weekend, and I simply do not remember all that there was. However, I do remember it was very good, and my sake glass was never empty, and they sent us off in style with individualized scrapbooks of pictures and some nice gifts.
After I got back I packed and then went out for a night-cap at the blues bar "Catfish" where I was with Damien and Brent on Tuesday night. Brent and I were the only ones in there, and the owner was playing some old Memphis style blues.... I realized he had about 3000 records in there. Too bad I will miss a brazilian blues bad that is playing this weekend.
No pants were hanging on the railing outside of the bar this night, though.....
hahaha.
So, 5.5 hours later I was up and out of Fukushima...... on the road to Tokyo.

1 comment:

  1. sake glass never empty--maybe there's a reason it was so good! ; ) Brazilian blues band sounds awesome to me, too. Many luscious details and photos here. In general, too, but especially this one. Lovin' it.

    ReplyDelete